Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
3.4 MB | 16 pages
This is a differentiated project package that I used with my grade 4 class to help conclude their studies of Rocks and Minerals. Instead of having repetitive end-of-unit projects, I divided my students by learning preference and had them work on their own "special projects". They all really enjoyed these projects and it was a great way for me to assess their learning, while reviewing the unit's expectations in a variety of ways. It took about a week and a half for my students to complete fully, but it depends on the amount of time you give them to work on it in class. Add another day or 2 for the presentations, and you've got yourself almost 2 weeks of science planning done!
There are 3 different projects included in this package:
- 1 for visual learners (collage about usages of Rocks and Minerals in everyday life)
- 1 for hands-on students (distinguishing rocks vs. minerals and separating them into categories)
- 1 research-based project (describing the rock formation process and the 3 types of rocks)
All projects consist of a research and exploration step, followed by a work period step, and ending in an oral presentation to the class.
Each project comes with:
- fun and easy step-by-step instructions for students (including: where to begin, what to place on posters, and how to present to the class)
- a checklist for students
- research completion forms for students
- a rubric for Teacher assessment (pdf and word format in case you need to edit the rubric)
*Please note that some additional materials are required for students to be able to complete the projects (ex: research books/texts, rocks & minerals, posterboards, and magazines).*
These projects are currently in the FRENCH language only, however, if you are interested in purchasing an English version, please let me know and I will do my best to accommodate.