In order to make French more 'real' and alive for my French Immersion students, I introduce idiomatic expressions to our weekly learnings and find meaningful ways to have the students make an effort to incorporate these expressions into their everyday speech. The French language is full of colourful expressions and I so I have compiled a long list of my favourites and have organized them into categories to help make connections and remember them long enough to begin to use them when speaking with their peers.
This document is the first in a series of 25 or so 'dictée packages'. These packages are 10 or so pages in length and EACH include:
- a list of 10 or so new idiomatic expressions
- a student handout with exercises to help them understand and use these
expressions in preparation for a dictée
- printable word wall cards with the weekly expressions
- a brief quiz (or dictée) testing the students' mastery of these expressions
- ...and an answer key for the teacher!
This particular list of expressions is the first of three collections of idiomatic expressions that deal with parts of the body and is titled 'Dictée 1 des expressions idiomatiques
…avec des parties du corps – A'.
I also like to find fun ways to include--and to focus on--these expressions in our classroom throughout the week. I divide students into groups of two or three and give each group an expression (*you can use the expression cards included in this package). I give them 10 minutes to write and prepare a short script in which they need to use their given expression and then the groups all take turns to perform their short skits in front of the class. We also look for examples of these expressions in stories we are reading and in the francophone music that we are studying and listening to.
I have made this first package free for you to try! Please feel free to send me feedback and if you enjoy this product please come back for more! I will be working on nicely formatting and putting together subsequent 'dictée packages' to support you in your weekly dictées...
The following French Language Expression dictée packs are all ready to go in my store:
- French Language Expressions - Dictée pack 2
- French Language Expressions - Dictée pack 3
- French Language Expressions - Dictée pack 4
- French Language Expressions - Dictée pack 5
- French Language Expressions - Dictée pack 6
* You are also now able to purchase a bundled package of Dictée Packs 1-5
for a discounted price.
For more great and easy-to-use French Immersion resources, check out my ’Rouler une histoire’ creative writing package
, and my Francophone Music activities
Thank you for your support and I am glad to be supporting you in your classrooms!