This is a project that I have used with my French III students for several years, but it is appropriate for any level in either French or English. The premise of the project is that each student researches both a French man and a French woman. The student also makes a product for each one (the choices were Facebook page and bottle model, and the student could decide which product for which person); however, it is possible to do this project without a product, and I have included a rubric for that.
Included in this pack (all in Word format unless otherwise noted):
- JPEG image of a bottle model (made from a 2-liter bottle; you can find more examples on the internet), so that you have an example to show your students
- "femmes de France" sign-up - list of possible women to research
- "hommes de France" sign-up - list of possible men to research
- project in Word format so that you can modify to your needs
- "rubric 2013-14" - this rubric includes space for a product
- "rubric" - this does not include point allotment for a product, in case you do not wish to do that.
- facebook template. There are several free ones available on the internet that are easy to find.
If you wish to have your students do only one project, you can combine the sign-up sheets. You could also pare it down to make it less than major grades. Students can work in pairs or alone, and you can have them present in English or French. You can also change the product (have them write an essay, bring in something indicative of the person's life, etc.).
I allow about a week for this project. I introduce it, then I take them to the computer lab to do research (better than the library, as some of the people are somewhat obscure; modify sign-up if computer lab is not available to you) for three 45-minute sessions. During this time, they can also work on their person's facebook page. It takes 1-2+ full days to present all of them, depending on size of class and whether or not they worked in groups. If you have a large class, you may wish to specify a maximum presentation length.
Men and women of France
by Christina G. Thomas
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
Please purchase multiple licenses if you plan to use this product throughout your department, level, district, or other group. Thank you!