Teaching grammar is not always easy but here’s a resources that should help you teach the the present simple in a fun and dynamic way. This lesson is aimed at children and teenagers but it can be adapted for the needs of adults. It contains a powerpoint with 16 slides and an activity booklet with 3 pages so that students can keep a track of their learning. It contains 11 activities in total.
1. As an introduction to the lesson students are invited to set themselves a target so that they own their learning (3 targets are offered as part of differentiation)
2. The lesson starts with a reading activity where students need to identify the verbs and make suggestions about the use and formation of the verbs. It is followed by a correction.
3. The teacher introduces the utilization of the present forms
4. The teacher introduces the formation of the present tense according to the three groups but also the formation of être/avoir
5. Focus on the negative form with all three groups
6. Students to match up the beginning and end of sentences to check the understanding of the structure
7. Introduction to most irregular verbs with the 1st person singular
8. 3 progressive writing exercises
9. students write about their routine
10. jeopardy in teams. Students need to say complete sentences according to the sentences they see on the board.
11. Review of objectives.
Have fun and don’t forget the booklet so that students can keep a written track of their learning!
You can find both of these resources individually here:
simple present presentation
simple present booklet