Fresh Water Resources – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with three fully interactive presentation slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activity during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (reservoir, dam, groundwater, aquifer, watershed, flood, contaminate, and pollute).
• Fresh water resources (running water, standing water, and groundwater).
• Introduction to reservoirs and the water table.
• Watersheds and their functions.
• How watersheds change.
• Water pollution review and some ways to determine if water might be polluted.
• Water treatment plants and the sequence in which water is cleaned.
The last slides are white-background and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• The first activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match definitions with terminology and pictures. Included terminology: groundwater, reservoir, dam, watershed, aquifer, contaminate, treatment plant, and flood.
• The second activity has students identify the steps in the treatment of water at a plant along with descriptions. Included steps: coagulation, sedimentation, filtration, disinfection, and storage.
• The last activity involves labeling the parts of a watershed. Included terms: snow, watershed, well, water table, aquifer, streams, dam, reservoir, and river.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.