“Dear Mr. President” Friendly Letter Writing Unit is an eight-lesson unit for grade 3-5 writing. I created this unit during and after teaching Friendly Letter writing to my own fourth grade students. It was created using the backward-design model of unit creation.
This unit contains everything you need to teach the Friendly Letter format. It takes the students through learning and practicing the following:
• generating ideas
• question mapping (expanding and adding details)
• writing an opening paragraph
• writing a paragraph for questions
• formatting the body
• writing and formatting the header
• writing and formatting the greeting
• writing and formatting the closing
• editing for format, spelling and grammar
• Writing a final draft
• Self-assessing Friendly Letters with a rubric
Each of the 8 lessons contains:
• material list
• lesson goal
• steps for implementation and scaffolding
PowerPoint Presentation Lesson
• full color graphics
• mouse-click slide advancement
• formatted for both PowerPoint 2010 and 1997-2003
• PDF formatted for non-PowerPoint users (each slide is static - animations will not run as they do on the slide shows).
“I can” statement posters
• Learning Targets that specify each lesson goal
• 8.5 x 11 inch posters
• full color printables
• 11 x 4.25 inch anchor cards
• Friendly Letter specific vocab that supports the lessons
• full color printables
assessment rubric/self-assessment rubric
• color and b/w printables
• 8.5 x 11 color poster
• “What does a ‘3’ look like?” 11 x 8.5 poster
• 11 x 4.25 inch exemplar poster cards
Instructions on running the PowerPoint presentation lessons
Please note that you can view and use PowerPoint presentations without having Microsoft PowerPoint loaded on your computer. You can download PowerPoint Viewer for free from Microsoft which will allow you to view PowerPoint presentations. The presentations have also been saved as PDF formats so that you can view them using Adobe Reader (free downloadable software from Adobe).
This unit is 169 pages, and does not include duplicate pages for different presentation formats.
This product is licensed with a Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported. You may freely use this product for your own uses but not use it for commercial purposes.
Thank you for stopping by to check out my products!
For quick updates, product notices and quirks in the life of teaching, "like" peacocks and penguins on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/PeacocksandPenguins and visit Peacocks and Penguins Blog at http://peacocksandpenguins.blogspot.com