Friendship Read Aloud Book Lessons & Activities Bundle - How to Make Friends
Products in this Bundle (5)
Also included in
- This Social-Emotional Learning Children's Book Companion Bundle includes 40 book companions on popular children’s books that relate to emotions, self-regulation, growth mindset, respect and manners, friendship, self-esteem and self-love, kindness, and empathy. ⭐Get ready to revolutionize your read aPrice $73.25Original Price $146.25Save $73.00
Do your students need help making friends and learning how to be a good friend? This friendship resource includes 5 book companions on popular children’s books about making friends, being a good friend, getting to know someone, and how to share (Books: Peanut Butter and Cupcake, Stick and Stone, The Rainbow Fish, Enemy Pie, and Meesha Makes a Friend).
Children will participate in classroom discussions and book chats, share their thoughts in written form, and participate in fun, engaging activities that build friendships, emotional awareness, and social skills.
Each book companion includes a detailed lesson plan, guided questions, anchor chart, concept posters, writing responses, and follow-up activities (printable and digital included). Great for distance learning or in-class teaching of social-emotional skills!
♥♥The mind+heart Social Emotional Learning Book Companion BUNDLE is available for a SPECIAL DISCOUNT. Get your entire year’s worth of popular SEL children's book (40 included) lessons and activities to revolutionize your read-aloud time TODAY! ♥♥
1. Peanut Butter and Cupcake by Terry Border
This lesson is about making friends. Children will learn different ways to make friends. They will understand that it may be easier to form friendships with others with things in common.
2. Meesha Makes a Friend by Tom Percival
The lesson is about how to make friends when fitting in is a struggle. Children will understand that a great way to make friends is to find others who enjoy the same things and share them together. They will learn to recognize others who don’t have friends and find ways to include them.
3. Stick and Stone by Ferry & Lichtenheld
This lesson teaches us about how to be a good friend and how to stand up for others. Children will understand what makes a good friend and how they can be a good friend to others.
4. Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
This lesson encourages kids to understand the importance of getting to know someone before making judgments. They will learn to be open to making new friends with others.
5. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
The lesson is about sharing and how this can help them make friends. Children will understand the importance of sharing and giving to others in order to make and keep friends. To learn what friends are, what they do, and what they say.
Included in this jam-packed SEL Friendship book companion pack:
- Lessons and activities that focus on 5 Children’s books related to making friends and being a good friend
- Each book companion comes with a detailed lesson plan, book chat cards to guide a discussion, anchor chart, and book response (writing or collage)
- 4 follow-up activities are included for every book (many in digital format)
- Book companion guide with safe links for easy viewing
- Google Slides ready for use in Google Classroom
- Images for use in Seesaw
- Interactive PowerPoint file of the digital templates for use in your preferred platform
**Check out the detailed PREVIEW for a thorough look into what this resource includes!**
There is a detailed lesson plan for each book with “Book Chat” cards and questions to guide your discussion before, during, and after reading. An interactive anchor chart and writing activity are included that focus on the social-emotional skill presented in the book and encourage children to express their thinking. This is an excellent way to incorporate social-emotional learning into your ELA block each week!
Each book comes with 4 follow-up activities to build upon the book’s social-emotional lesson. A fun variety of activities are included for independent, partner, and small group use. These high-interest activities are a great way to extend the book’s discussion and build the social-emotional skills kids need!
Book companions come with a digital anchor chart or interactive poster slides, writing template, and additional digital activities. These are ready in Google Slides™ for use in Google Classroom™. You will be provided with instructions on how to access and a link to create a copy. The digital pages are great for use during remote teaching, distance learning, and in a one-to-one classroom!
Why You Need This Book Companion Resource:
♥ The children’s books in this book companion resource have been carefully chosen as they cover the most important topics that we often do not have time to teach (SEL ones).
♥ It provides an opportunity to have meaningful discussions and use impactful activities that build important social and emotional skills a child needs. Children need to build their emotional awareness and these lessons and activities will guide them there!
♥ Since you are using literature to teach, you are covering important English Language Arts standards and building children’s literacy skills.
♥ It provides a TON of variety for each book, keeping things fresh and engaging for kids!
♥ As it includes printable and digital activities, this resource is great for use during distance learning, homeschooling, and in one-to-one classrooms.
Suggestions on How to Use:
- Each lesson starts with a book chat that continues during and after reading a book. There are questions included to guide your discussion.
- There is an anchor chart idea provided to enhance the book’s lesson.
- A follow-up writing activity can be used to extend the discussion.
- There are 4 activities for each children’s book. Some include digital options.
- I suggest reading 1 book per week and doing the lesson. Use the extra activities to reinforce the topic covered in the story throughout the week.
- Differentiated templates included. Please choose what fits best with your students’ abilities and needs.
- The lessons and activities work great for after morning meetings or end of the day lessons, school counselors and classroom teachers, and children in K-2.
Don’t own a copy of a book? No problem! Safe links to video recordings of books being read aloud are included, as well as a book list of more books to use during your lessons.
Looking for more Social-Emotional Learning lessons and activities? Check out the curriculum that is needed in ALL classrooms -> The BEST-SELLING mind+heart curriculum available for K-2 and grades 3-5. This curriculum would make the perfect addition to your SEL instruction with the book companions included in this bundle!
Related SEL Products that work great with this resource!
Stay connected with Proud to be Primary
♥Click HERE to follow our store and receive notifications of new product releases, sales, and freebies.
♥Join our email list and get weekly teacher tip emails and access to our FREE resource library.
♥Visit our website at Proud to be Primary for tons of engaging ideas for teaching kids in the classroom!
♥Join our Facebook group and connect with thousands PROUD primary teachers like yourself.
Questions, suggestions, and feedback are always welcome.
Just use the “Product Q&A” tab and I will get back to you as fast as I can!
Please ask all questions before purchasing or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
©2013 to Present - Proud to be Primary - Elyse Rycroft