Frog And Toad Are Friends: Novel Study and Interactive Notebook
'Frog And Toad Are Friends: Novel Study and Interactive Notebook' focuses on the beloved classic ‘Frog And Toad Are Friends,’ by Arnold Lobel. This complete novel study and interactive notebook is full of fun, engaging activities related to reading, writing, vocabulary, and more! This pack is filled with everything you will need for your novel study in a teacher- and printer-friendly format, and your students are sure to love it!
Here are the reading strategies and skills covered:
1. Identifying the problem and solution and thinking of alternate solutions
2. Sequencing and retelling important story events
3. Making text-to-self connections
4. Understanding the feelings of characters
5. Making text-to-text connections
Here is what we include in this thorough novel study and interactive notebook pack:
- For each of the book's 5 short stories, we provide:
1. A reading mini lesson guide for the story, describing the teaching objective, how to teach it using ‘Frog And Toad Are Friends,' and suggestions for how to have students practice
2. An interactive notebook activity using the templates provided that allows students to practice the targeted reading strategy and demonstrate their understandings
3. Photos and descriptions for the teacher to know how to set up the interactive portions
4. 3 key vocabulary terms per story, with word flaps and interactive reading passages for students to first match the word to the corresponding picture image (definition) and then practice using the context of the story to determine where the new words best fit.
5. A writing prompt related to each story that is accompanied with a writing template.
In addition to all the materials provided for the short stories, we also have included two fun craft templates
to go along with your study of ‘Frog And Toad Are Friends.’
This pack is aligned with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) listed below:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1. With prompting and support, ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.2. With prompting and support, retell familiar stories, including key details.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.3. With prompting and support, identify characters, settings, and major events in a story.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.4. Ask and answer questions about unknown words in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.7. With prompting and support, describe the relationship between illustrations and the story in which they appear (e.g., what moment in a story an illustration depicts).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.9. With prompting and support, compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in familiar stories.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.1. Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.2. Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.3. Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.4. Identify words and phrases in stories or poems that suggest feelings or appeal to the senses.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.7. Use illustrations and details in a story to describe its characters, setting, or events.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.9. Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.2. Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.3. Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.7. Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.2. Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
Our students absolutely loved their interactive notebooks and all the activities in this unit, and we know yours will, too!
Be sure to check out our other reading materials and novel studies for Kindergarten and 1st grade!
Short Vowel Fun: Literacy Center Activity PackLong Vowel CVCe Fun: Literacy Center Activity PackConsonant Digraph (sh, ch, th) Fun: Literacy Center Activity PackPhonics Fun Bundle: Literacy Center Activities Pack
Be sure to follow our store!
Just click on the green “Follow” star at the top of this page or our store page to follow our store, which will notify you first when we post new items! All new items are 50% off for the first 48 hours they are posted! You will also receive customized email updates about our store products!