Kid Tested... Teacher Approved. This game was a vital tool that I used with my reluctant readers. After using the game for as little as ten minutes, 3 to 4 times per week, students saw significant gains in their sight word recognition and fluency.
The game is simple.
1. Students take turns picking fries from the fry box.
2. Students read the phrase on the fry.
3. Students continue to pick fries until the end of the allotted time.
4. If a student selects the fry that says, “Too Many Calories!” all the fries picked by this student must be placed back into the fry box.
5. The player with the most fries at the end of the allotted center time wins.
Students who prefer to work alone can remove the “Too Many Calories!” fries, set a timer, and work on reading as many phrases as possible within a 1 minute time frame. They can then log their progress on a Fry Phrase Fluency Chart.
82 Phrases that utilize the 5th 100 sight words (based on the list from Dr. Edward Fry’s Instant Word List)
4-6 “Too Many Calories” fries
2 fry box templates