Battleship is an all time favorite classic. However, this game has a little twist. Instead of coordinates, students are reading Fry Word Phrases.
I have used Battleship for struggling readers in 2nd Grade and for advance 1st Grade students. All of my students LOVED playing Battleship.
In this packet, there are 20 game boards. For this two player game, each player receives the same game board. Therefore, the game boards need to be printed twice. As the game boards progress, so does the reading difficulty.
How to Play (2 players):
1. Each player receives the same game board, three tokens and dividers. The dividers will keep the other player from seeing where their opponent’s tokens are placed.
2. Each player places the three tokens on any phrase.
3. Each opponent takes turns trying to find a battleship (token) by reading the phrases.
4. If a player reads a phrase and their opponent has a token on the same phrase, the opponent removes their token.
5. Keep playing until a player has all their tokens removed.