Fry's Sight Words flash cards, worksheets and Bingo games. These activities use Fry's second list of one hundred words.
1. A master list of the 100 words
2. Every word on a flash card
3. A monitoring/testing sheet, to track student’s progress
4. Folded sheet for each word with the word to :read, trace, color, find and make
5. Matching sheets including all words for students to connect pairs and a couple of opposites
6. 24 Bingo Games, using all 100 words
7. 24 read, write draw strips. These use words from the 100 words.
There are two files, your choice: one US paper and spelling: one A4 with Australian spelling.
You can use these activities as part of literacy centers or as whole class.
1. I print and cut the folding sheets and the writing/drawing strips so students can complete and paste into books.
2. Add the writing/drawing strips, as students have a useable vocabulary, so students can read and understand the words in context. This is important to me, as reading words is all about comprehension.
3. I print and laminate the Bingo Cards, flash cards and the word matching sheets, so that they can be re-used.
4. I make at least two sets of the flash cards, because they are great for many games and activities.
5. To complete the “Make” part of the folded sheets, students can use letters, tape, pipe cleaners, lego, finger paint, playdoh etc
Use flash cards for:
** Word wall
** Calling cards for the Bingo
** Matching games
** Pointing Activities: I use hammers to “nail” words, a pointer with a googly eye, a magic wand or tongs to pick up etc
** Card Games eg Fish, Concentration, Snap
** Spread out face up, students point with a wand, hammer etc as words are called
** Put a pile of words face down on the table. Each student has a bank of 10 counters. ** Take turns to turn a word: if the player can read it, other players give them a counter: if the word is read incorrectly, they must pay other player with a counter. Winner has most counters at the end. (I find the competition, spurs students to practice and try to remember)
This is the second list, so if you need the first one, I have it too.
FRY'S SIGHT WORDS LIST 1