This is the third lesson of a scheme of work covering Historical Skills and the Roman Empire.
The aim of the lesson is to introduce pupils to the concept of centuries and to investigate the Roman Army.
During the lesson pupils will:
- Complete a skills activity to work out which century different dates belong to
- Identify reasons why the Romans needed a powerful army.
- Evaluate the equipment, tactics and training of the Roman army through a number of different activities.
- Identify and explain reasons why people might have joined the Roman army.
- Complete a homework task to either i) create a recruitment poster to encourage people to join the Roman army or ii) write a letter of application to join the Roman army.
This lesson is aimed towards year seven in the UK but could be easily adapted to other curricula.