This bundle of 180 writing prompts will give your middle school students the opportunity to grow their critical thinking skills, further develop their values system, and strengthen the conciseness of their writing. Using a Google Docs template already created, students write a 50-75 word response to each bell ringer. Instructions are included for them to set up the word count while they type.
This year, I am using these as bell ringers when students enter the room so I can get attendance taken care of, make any adjustments I need to make to my lesson, or to have a few minutes to send an email to a parent while students are with me in person. I'll also have these available for our hybrid model of learning where half of the students are learning virtually while the other half are in class.
1. Mount Rushmore
2. Child Labor
3. Presidential Requirements
4. The Confederate Flag
5. “In God We Trust”
6. “I Have A Dream”
7. Iwo Jima
8. Gun Control
10. Christopher Columbus Statues
11. The Institution of Education
12. Violence in Video Games and Music
13. School Uniforms
14. Citizenship Test to Graduate High School?
15. Mandatory Military Service
16. Death Penalty
18. Mission to Mars
19. “Boys“ and “Girls” Sports
20. Ban on Tobacco
22. Organ Donation for Profit
23. Paying Students for Grades/Behavior
24. Banning Cars That Run On Gasoline
25. Zoos: Good or Bad?
26. Do Students Need Homework?
27. Banning Plastic Bottles
28. What is Considered a Sport?
29. Is Social Media Worth It?
30. Arming Teachers in the Classroom
31. Organic Farming
32. Police Body Cameras
33. Term Limits for Supreme Court Judges
34. One Child Policy: Good or Bad?
35. English - The Official Language?
36. Should Parents Pay for College?
37. Cemeteries: Right or Wrong?
38. Should the KKK Be Allowed to Exist?
39. Do Photos Matter Anymore?
40. Should Wearing A Seatbelt Be A Law?
41. Should Schools Allow Junk Food?
42. Should Presidential Candidates Release Their Income Taxes?
43. Banning Books - Right or Wrong?
44. Election Day - A National Holiday?
45. Is A Democracy the Best Option?
46. Should Any Country Own An Ocean?
47. Do We Need Hard Currency Anymore?
48. Euthanasia - Right or Wrong?
49. Fast Food and the Surgeon General
50. Do Political Parties Divide Us Too Much?
51. Should A Driver's Test Be Required Every 5 Years?
52. Should Minimum Wage Be Raised?
53. Endangered Species and Humans
54. Digital Traffic Surveillance
55. Will Drones Become an Inconvenience?
56. Should Race Be Asked on Forms?
57. Which Invention Has Had the Biggest Impact?
58. Should There Be More Public Transportation?
59. GMOs vs. Natural Food Production
60. Should High School Be More About Job Training?
61. Are Drinking and Driving Laws Strong Enough?
62. What Should 18-Year-Olds Know How To Do?
63. Animal Testing
64. No Paper for Books, Magazine, & Newspapers
65. Should Fireworks Be Illegal?
66. Should Polystyrene Be Banned?
67. Are Professional Athletes Paid Too Much?
68. Should Healthcare Be Free?
69. Is Daylight Saving Time Necessary?
70. What Should Be A Law?
71. Touching Up the Declaration of Independence
72. $100,000 to Change the White House
73. A New National Holiday?
74. Is the Income Tax System Fair?
75. Should the Internet Be Free?
76. Should School Breakfast/Lunch Be Free?
77. Is the American Flag Ready For A Change?
78. How Would You Spend $1,000,000
79. How Can Racial Issues Be Fixed?
80. What Do Americans Hold Dearly?
81. How Can America's Homelessness Issue Be Fixed?
82. Should College Be Free?
83. Should Minors Have Privacy With Technology?
84. What Should Our Next National Monument Be?
85. Is Lying Ever OK?
86. What Has Been Your Favorite Age/Grade of Your Life?
87. What Is A Class That Schools Should Offer?
88. When Is Someone "Grown Up?"
89. The Most Significant Historical Event Of Your Life
90. The Decade You Wished You Lived Through
91. Should P.E. Be Required If You're In A Sport?
92. Limiting Screen Time to Two Hours Per Day
93. Choosing A Baby's Gender
94. America's Debt and Helping Other Countries
95. Should School Always Offer Virtual Learning?
96. CPR/First Aid - A New Graduation Requirement?
97. Should 18 Be the Age Limit for Social Media?
98. Should Parents Have to Take Parenting Classes?
99. Year-round School: Good or Bad Idea?
100. Are Classroom Pets A Good Idea?
101. Should Kids Do Custodial Work At School?
102. Should Schools and Hospitals Compost?
103. How Should Bullying Be Dealt With?
104. The Use of Torture on Known Terrorist
105. Teaching Evolution in Science: Right or Wrong?
106. Should High Schools Have Daycare Centers?
107. Does Race Matter in Historical Musicals/Plays?
108. Should Political Issues Be Discussed in Class?
109. Should Every Course Have An AP Version?
110. Which Historic Figure Would You Want to Meet?
111. Are Golf Courses A Waste of Land?
112. What Is Considered A Work of Art?
113. Should the President Be A Role Model?
114. Are the Arts and The Country's Defense Equal?
115. Is Jail or Rehab the Right Answer?
116. Compensating the Wrongfully Imprisoned
117. Should Burning the American Flag Be Illegal?
118. Are New Year's Resolutions Beneficial?
119. Should Movies About History Be Accurate?
120. Would A Universal Language Benefit the World?
121. Should Elective Classes Be After Lunch?
122. Is Global Warming Real?
123. Will the World See New Religions?
124. Do We Depend Too Much On Technology?
125. Should School Start Later in the Morning?
126. When Is A Fetus A Person?
127. Does Knowing How to Spell Still Matter?
128. Should Members of Congress Have Equal Terms?
129. Would Weekend School Help Students?
130. Should Energy Drinks Have Age Restrictions?
131. Do Cell Phones Have A Place In School?
132. Should Birth Control Pills Be Free?
133. Do Kids Need to Earn Their Allowance?
134. Should Every Country Use the Same Currency?
135. Is the Media Subliminally Body Shaming?
136. What Is the #1 Threat to National Security?
137. Should Sex Education Be Taught In School?
138. What to Do With the U.S. National Debt
139. Should All Grades Have Nap Time?
140. Should Minors Be Allowed to Be Astronauts?
141. Should Gambling Be Allowed?
142. Does the Government Need An Asteroid Plan?
143. Should Some College Loans Be Forgiven?
144. Should Kids Have Toy Guns?
145. Are Contact Sports Worth the Risk?
146. Plastic Surgery Before Adulthood
147. Should Students Know Their I.Q.?
148. What Age/Grade Should Slavery Be Taught?
149. Would You Want to Be a Celebrity?
150. Are We Born As A "Blank Slate?"
151. Should Outer Space Be Colonized?
152. What Are the Three Most Important Values?
153. Should People Live Together Before Marriage?
154. Are We Too Wasteful with Resources?
155. Should History Be Taught From the Minority Viewpoint
156. Should the Government Have Your DNA?
157. Are Wal-Mart Stores Good for Communities?
158. Is It Right to Study Mummies?
159. Is the Internet Filled with More Reliable or Unreliable Information?
160. Should North America Just Be One Big Country?
161. Should Sports Teams Use Native American Logos?
162. Is the USA Relying Too Much on Other Countries?
163. Will AI Help Or Hurt the Human Race?
164. Should All Schools Be Privately Owned?
165. Black Friday Shopping On Thanksgiving?
166. What Is the #1 Issue For the World to Fix?
167. Which Branch of the Military Would You Join?
168. Should Humans Try to Control Nature?
169. Are Prescription Painkillers Worth the Risk?
170. Taking A Year Off Between High School & College
171. Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered to 18?
172. Should Transgender Athletes Hold Records?
173. Should Big Game Animals In Africa Be Hunted?
174. The Supreme Court and Same Sex Marriage
175. What Age Is Dating Appropriate for Teens?
176. Is the U.S. Government Hiding UFO Information?
177. What Age Should Kids Have Cell Phones?
178. Is Nuclear Energy the Answer?
179. What Would You Put In A Time Capsule?
180. Is Peace on Earth Possible?
Be sure to check out my blog for updates, sale announcements, and FLASH FREEBIES to help you in your own classroom!
Have a great year!
Matt @ Surviving Social Studies
Connect with Surviving Social Studies...
Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the ‘Follow Me’ next to my logo to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on www.survivingsocialstudies.com