Also included in
- SAVE TIME and MONEY! This bundle includes every single Educircles resource on my TpT store. ⭐ 27 people have purchased the EVERTYHING BUNDLE so far!!When you buy this resource, please email me at Mike@educircles.org - I want to make sure you find what you need! As I add more resources, the price ofPrice $144.75Original Price $289.50Save $144.75
17 high-interest CLASSROOM DEBATES!
PERFECT to kick-start persuasive writing, communication skills, or being an active citizen!
The slideshow teaches everything. You just guide the class conversation!
Want to see exactly what you get before you buy this bundle?
- Watch the BUNDLE PREVIEW VIDEO.
- Look at the BUNDLE PREVIEW PDF.
(It is a watermarked version of the entire PDF resource.)
Want to see what the handouts and lesson plans look like?
Use this life-long tool over and over again!
- The Back to School honeymoon is over: now is a great time to remind your students HOW TO DISAGREE respectfully.
- Teach important lessons if you ever need to fill a period.
- These debates are also a great way to kick off a Global Studies unit or English Language Arts unit on essay or persuasive writing!
- Leave the detailed lesson plan for your substitute teacher to teach.
FAIR is not always EQUAL!?
Explore being an active citizen at school and in the world!
Help students COMMUNICATE and APPRECIATE differences in opinion.
SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL):
Using these timeless citizenship debates is a perfect way to get students to think more about SEL:
- who they are (Self-Awareness)
- diversity and equity (Social Awareness)
- communicating effectively (Relationship Skills)
⭐ The best time to plant a tree was 25 years ago. The second best time is now.
⭐ DISCUSS the difference between equal and fair.
⭐ BUILD classroom community as students explore the difference between a citizen and a good citizen (or active citizen)
⭐ REMIND students how to communicate respectfully, even when they disagree.
⭐ EMPOWER students to reflect on their ideas and to think about how equal doesn't always mean fair.
⭐ APPLY what they learn by asking students which groups of people are invisible?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ TEACHER FEEDBACK ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- "My students love debating, so this resource was great!"
(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied - Jennifer C)
- "Very thorough and has built a community in my classes. Thank you"
(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied - Mary S)
- "This is an exceptional high quality resource that is worth more than it is, once I opened this product I was so impressed with the professionalism and dedication that was put into creating a high quality informational unit that is based on reliable sources throughout the entire package! I am very pleased with this purchase as my scholars are too, for they are the ones that receive this credible, reliable, and highly beneficial learning information that gracefully supports students through the learning process with rigorous content, that allows deeper learning opportunities for those that need that deeper level concepts for true engagement into their learning experiences! Highly recommend this phenomenal resource."
(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied - Deanna S)
- "This resource has been a real lifesaver to both my lessons and teacher training. Many skills are covered in this resource and I use it at any stage in my curriculum as lead-in for new topics, to end of units or to reinforce and supplement certain areas. We move from a local to global perspective, and this resource guides you through the entire process. I eventually got the entire bundle, and it is an added value to my teaching resources. Thank you for an excellent product."
(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied - Josephine M)
These high-interest citizenship debates are a safe but powerful way to teach students that
- We can have opinions.
- My opinions can be different from yours.
- Your opinions can be different from mine.
- And both of our opinions can be equally valid.
The 17 debate questions go through a series of "fun" questions to more "serious" questions as they get students wondering about fairness and equality.
✅ The slideshow lesson teaches the concepts.
✅ You can also EDIT THE FILES to fit your classroom needs.
✅ The slideshow lesson is comprehensive and teaches the lesson:
- DISTANCE LEARNING or 1:1 LEARNING in Google Classroom
- FACE to FACE LEARNING in your classroom
..... ⭐ WHAT DO YOUR STUDENTS STRUGGLE WITH THE MOST ?
My name is Michael Fuchigami. I'm the teacher behind Educircles.
- I've taught 13+ years in a Grade 7 and 8 English Language Arts classroom, focusing on Critical Thinking and Social Emotional Learning.
- I want to help you SAVE HOURS of PREP because your sanity matters.
⭐⭐⭐ Teachers around the world have DOWNLOADED over 70,322 Educircles resources! (map)
- THANK YOU to everyone who has purchased an Educircles product.
- With your help, Educircles has DONATED $9,344.68 to STUDENT MENTAL HEALTH organizations!
✅ SOCIAL and EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) in a world of Covid, Systemic Racism, and Constant Change...
- Teach students how to PIVOT when faced with obstacles and opportunities.
- BUILD character: develop resilience during uncertain times.
- EMPOWER classroom citizenship: actively participate in our school, local and global community to make the world a better place.
- THINK critically instead of reacting to fear, viral videos, or fake news.
- EVALUATE systemic discrimination in a real-world case study: how might a system impose unfair burdens on a group of people?
- Help students with SELF AWARENESS and SOCIAL AWARENESS. Start by asking your students Who is Invisible...
✅ SAVE HOURS OF PREP (and money) with a bundle!
- Reading Strategies Bundle
- Goal Setting Bundle
- The Educircles EVERYTHING Bundle (Psst, the price goes up as I add more resources to my store.)
⭐ Why am I so passionate about 6Cs and Social-Emotional Learning? Because SEL helped save my life.
SINGLE PDF update - v2022-07-10
The individual products in this bundle now have a Single PDF to print (with a File Table of Contents and all handouts)
- I added a digital learning version (Easel by TpT)
- I added Microsoft versions for all files
- NO CHANGES to teaching content in section A.
- Updated teaching content in section C. (Updated the Handout - Student Self-Evaluation; Removed Google Slides file - Venn Diagram (Google Classroom version) as it has been replaced by the Easel by TpT file.)
- Files are now packaged by section (A. Debate, B/C Video + Consolidation) instead of splitting Google Drive folders by use (i.e. Print and Teach, Edit the documents, Google Classroom)
- Simplified file names using descriptive words (handout, slideshow).
- Minor changes to formatting / layout
- Combined all handouts into a single PDF to print (for individual products)
If you have any questions, please ask in the Question section or email me at Mike@educircles.org