PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Happy Human Teachers, with this free download there are 5 Elkonin Box pages that are student attention grabbing and teacher friendly! Each page includes the following items to support with phonemic awareness, encoding, and whole word reading skills:
• Different horse and unicorn items on the Elkonin mats for visual high interest. These are placed above the boxes to help represent movement from left to right.
• 3 boxes and “home bases” (for 3 phoneme words)
• The boxes are designed for students to have a designated place to put a counter/chip and then manipulate the chip to the appropriate box. I call the designated spots for the counter and chip “home bases.”
• Arrow under the boxes to represent left to right movement
Easy, peasy prep!
Print, laminate (or not), and use a supplementary sound box mat with your learning curriculum or phonemic awareness tasks!
Happy Human Teacher Tips :)
- I provide students choice for the Elkonin page that he or she wants to use that day.
- I use tokens or small balls of play dough (when we need to spice things up) to manipulate while decoding or encoding a word.
- I call the 3 small circles under the boxes “home base” as a reference of where to set the tokens. My students who love sports, love this phrase!
- After my student reads the letter sounds with the token, I give him or her a My Little Pony or horse toy to move from left to right on the arrow as he or she simultaneously reads the whole word.
- Using a “pony voice” for letter sounds or whole word reading (trust me, my students love this!)