This short story writing unit has been very successful with classes of generally unmotivated eleventh- and twelfth-grade students. The length and complexity requirements are easily adjustable for differentiation or to fit your schedule.
This packet includes:
• Silly story starters that students construct by picking a subject, verb, object, and adverbial out of a hat. (Grammar reinforcement!)
• Instructions for leading students in prewriting.activities.
• Editable assignment sheet.
• Worksheet for partner revision.
• Easy-to-use scoring sheet based on the Common Core State Standards.
We usually begin this assignment after reading and analyzing several short stories as a class using Freytag's Triangle. You can buy my short story analysis sheet here
and download a free Intro to Short Stories PowerPoint here