This slideshow contains 20 visual prompts perfect for the start of a descriptive writing or poetry unit. You can display these and model to students:
e.g. The Japanese cherry blossom lake image:
- similes, as 'as reflective as my grandmother's antique mirror'
- power of 3 adjectives, 'epically tranquil, serene and peaceful'
- metaphors: 'a pink carpet blanketing the sky'
- descriptive language/vocabulary
As students write, you could invite those who have accomplished personal best samples of work up to the front to publish a sentence as a text box above the image, adding an extra element of student-to-student modelling and immediate feedback/competition.
Also perfect as prompts for haiku writing as within the display there is a set of visuals from Japan, the home of haiku poetry.
You may also like:
- FREE Comprehensive Multiplication Unit
- No Prep Place Value Unit with Materials-based, Differentiated Lessons and All Resources
- Full Unit No Prep Narrative Writing Unit Plan of 21 Lessons Based on the 7 Steps
Full set of Maths Assessments:
- Place Value Assessment
- Addition Assessment
- Subtraction Assessment
- Multiplication Assessment
- Division Assessment
- Fractions/Decimals Assessment