This is the final of 5 resources showing students how to solve simple sudoku puzzles. It is a step-by-step procedure using PowerPoint, activities and videos where Robin the Sudoku Guy demonstrates the procedures, rules, and skills needed to solve puzzles confidently. The lessons can be purchased individually or as a bundle.
This is a very important lesson as it leads students to another step in the solving of sudoku puzzles.. It is an easy procedure once you get into the habit.
Robin the Sudoku Guy has a video to show how it is done.
5 lessons for Gr 4-6 Printable activities, worksheets an demo videos.
- It is very important that teachers insist on a step by step procedure as follows:
- 1 TMB
- 2 LCR + ram
- 3 Fill in any empty cell in a row, column or block
- ram (ramifications) whenever you solve a new number ALWAYS LOOK RIGHT OR LEFT OR UP OR DOWN TO SEE IF BY USING TMB AND LCR A NEW NUMBER CAN BE SOLVED. It is easy to miss a ramification. A good habit to master
- puzzles for students are provided to solve, along with suggestions for teachers.
- students learn the importance of mastering procedures that make them successful puzzle solvers
- watching the videos is fun
- help students look at 3 horizontal blocks and spot where a number is missing in 1 of the 3 blocks using TMB Robin the Sudoku guy will show how this is done in the video
- help students look at 3 vertical blocks and spot where a number is missing in 1 of the 3 blocks using LCR. Robin the Sudoku guy will show how this is done in the video
- teachers can print off puzzles from the PowerPoint slides
- go through slides and videos as a class or use it as a math work station (Your choice... I'm pretty entertaining!)
- individual or group activities and worksheets include puzzles to solve.
- videos are to watch as a class or for teacher to form lesson plan.
- teacher guide in presentation notes (under the slides)
- answer key when approriate
- logical thinking, spacial relationships, and number sequenceing
- new vocabulary e.g. row, column, block, cell, grid horizontal, vertical
- the videos are fun to watch. They teach a step by step approach
- how to avoid repeating a number in a row column or block
- students follow a procedure TMB, then LCR + ram, then fill in any empty cell in a row, column or block
- students must devlop the habit of ALWAYS looking to see if a new number solved can help solve another new numbers using TMB and LCR This is called ram, which is shot for ramification
- students will know what to do when a row, or column has 2 empty cells when using TMB and LCR
- students wil be able to solve horizontal and vertical blocks with 1 number missing in 1 of 3 blocks
- students will be able to observe or spot a number located in 2 out of 3 horizontal and vertical blocks
- students will learn a procedure. i.e. TMB, then LCR, then a number missing in a row, column or block
- students will know the rules of sudoku, particularly that no row column or block can have a repeated number
- students will learn new vocabulary, e.g. row, column, block, grid, horizontal, and vertical
- by the time students reach the 5th lesson they will be able to solve simple sudoku puzzles using TMB LCR with one number or two numbers missing in a row, column
- above all, I wish students to have fun
We have come to the end of this series. Students should be able now to solve very easy puzzles. To learn more techniques and tricks, go to
http://www.sudokuguy.com. Robin the Sudoku Guy