Finally! Here are some high quality products to help students learn this area of biochemistry. These items are suited for an advanced, honors, AP Biology, or introductory college classroom. Check out the Preview file for a little peek at a few pages! This biochemistry product bundle includes five items:
1) A graphic organizer table for students to take notes on the basic characteristics of 7 key chemical functional groups in biological macromolecules. - 1 pg
2) A worksheet to practice identifying the functional groups and identifying isomers. A brief description of each molecule is provided and then students circle and label the functional groups. Students might be intimidated by these chemical figures at first, but not after practicing with this! Three questions also address types of isomers (structural, geometric, and enantiomers). And I love the information about each molecule - so many connections to other areas of biology! - 2 pgs
3) A 16-square puzzle in which students sort terms, descriptions, and images of functional groups. Three levels are included for you to choose from. While their hands are sorting, their minds are organizing and solidifying connections - 4 pgs
4) A short quiz in which students must identify each of the 7 functional groups on a molecule. This could be used as a traditional quiz, or could possibly be a review/warmup or an exit ticket. - 1 pg
5) Quiz on Carbon, Functional Groups, and Isomers - a more thorough quiz for this unit. There are 7 multiple choice questions about carbon bonding, functional groups, and isomers. Then students are asked to circle and label 12 total functional groups on 5 molecules. - 2 pgs
Answer keys are provided for all 5 resources. - 8 pgs
The functional groups included: hydroxyl, carbonyl, carboxyl, amine, sulfhydryl, phosphate, and methyl. These are the most fundamental chemical groups to understand basic organic chemistry in the context of biology. These groups play an important role in the formation of molecules like DNA, proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids.
~Kim from Science Classy
For single classroom only; not to be shared publicly.
~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ .
*Follow the Science Classy Store! Click on the green star next to the store logo to receive upcoming sales, freebie and product launches, and email updates!
*Get TPT credit for future purchases! Go to your "My Purchases" page. Next to each purchase, you'll see a "Provide Feedback" button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you may use to lower the cost of your future purchases.