This game provides students with a fun, engaging way to reinforce reading fluency skills! Students may play this game with a partner or in groups of 3-4 players.
(Can be used with students in 3rd - 5th grade)
Note: Second grade students reading above grade level will also benefit from this game
1.Shuffle the cards and place face down in a pile
2. Each player selects a game piece and places their piece on the “Start” space on the game board.
3. Player 1 selects a card from the deck and reads the tongue-twister fluency phrase on the card. If read correctly, Player 1 spins the spinner using a paper clip and a pencil and moves that number of spaces. If read incorrectly, Player 1 does not spin the spinner and it is the next player’s turn. All cards should be returned to the bottom of the pile once they have been played.
4. Play continues in this fashion with Player 2.
5. Some cards contain a note at the bottom stating, “3 times fast.” For these cards, players must read the tongue twister 3 times fast in order to spin the spinner!
6. The first player to reach the “Finish” space is the winner!
1. Game Board
2. Two Spinners (One containing numbers 1-4, and a blank one).
The blank spinner is to help you change the number of spaces
students move in the game. This will allow you to modify the
length of the game (making it longer or shorter) in order to
meet your own instructional needs)
3. 42 Reading Fluency Tongue Twister Cards
Materials You Will Need to Gather Before Play Begins:
1. Game pieces for students
(I usually have my students choose little erasers purchased
from the Dollar Tree or unifix cubes work well too!)
2. Paper clip and a pencil for the spinner