Constructed and refined over five years in an ESL classroom in a non-English environment (Taiwan) with never fewer than 4 native language backgrounds per class, this writing rubric targets many common areas for improvement in G1 ESL writing.
- Conveniently organized into 'Content Goals,' 'Participation' and 'Structural Goals' categories to save you work!
- Easily modifiable and with extra room for adding your own categories, goals from standards and curriculum, etc.
- Easily modified for other types of writing (e.g., non-fiction)
- Best for once students have already progressed past beginning-of-year letter-sound and simple writing level and are ready to start writing stories.
- Good for any length and level of G1 creative story writing project.
Pro tip - try the following:
- Preview the rubric with students at the start of a writing project.
- Remind students to look at the rubric regularly during writing time.
- (I've often also had students reference their rubrics if I want them to peer check as part of the revision process.)