Engage your students and practice core ELA skills with these engaging, relevant tasks!
What is an Essential?
Essentials are short activities linked to basic reading, writing or language skills. In these activities, students practice these basic skills in authentic situations that feature topics they know and love. We include final questions that help students develop critical thinking skills.
Each Essential also includes a complete teacher guide, answer key and rubric.
Ask & Answer Adventures
In Ask & Answer Adventures, students use their favorite non-fiction book to practice asking and answering questions about key details in text. They create and answer questions about the text and define words. When they finish, they can repeat the activity using a different book.
[#] different editions or versions of this Essential are included so students can work with the edition they are most interested in, an appropriate edition can be chosen to match the interests of the class, or the editions can be used at classroom stations. Some of the editions included are Ape, Balloons over Broadway, and Queen of the Falls (see complete list below), which all require students to work with different information linked to their selected edition.
The full list of editions included is:
* Balloons Over Broadway- The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade
* How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum
* Island- A Story of the Galapagos
* Life in the Ocean- The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
* Manfish- A Story of Jacques Cousteau
* Nubs- The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine, & a Miracle
* On a Beam of Light- A Story of Albert Einstein
* Queen of the Falls
* Top of the World- Climbing Mount Everest
* Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors_- The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell
NOTE: Get in touch if you would like to see other informational books covered by this Essential.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other Essentials for 1st-2nd grade!
Or download the complete collection of our twelve 1st grade Essentials at a discounted price!