Car Loan Real World Performance Task for 11th and 12th grade
In the Car Loan Performance Task, students use real information about a car manufacturer to practice informative reading and writing in an engaging, real world context. Students take on the role of a sales worker at a dealership and advise a customer on the best choice of car.
They read other informative texts about cars and analyze an infographic. They then use images to write a descriptive paragraph and conduct a phone call to advise the customer before writing their final informative email about the car. The task ends with the opportunity to develop informative writing in several ways.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended to make a short writing unit across a week.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation through reading. Students start by annotating and analyzing a text that carefully models the text type and answering standards aligned reading questions.
* Level 2 Activity
– Starting to write. Students use what they have learned so far to complete a short piece of writing or research or plan for their extended writing piece.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the collaboration! Fun and engaging speaking and listening activities through authentic simulations lead students toward their final piece of extended writing.
* Finale Activities
– Finish up. Each Performance Task ends with five options for extended writing of the same text type within the real-world context. Finale options reach Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4.
* Answer Key & Rubrics
– All Performance Tasks come with an answer key and rubrics, including grading guidance for teachers.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This task comes with both teacher and student print-outs. The teacher print-out includes a teacher guide, answer key and rubrics.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other ELA Performance Tasks for high school!
NOTE: The only current edition included is Honda. Get in touch if you would like to see other car manufacturers covered by this Performance Task.