Survival Fishing Real World Performance Task for 4th grade
In the Survival Fishing Performance Task, students use real data on fish populations in their local lake or river to practice calculating with fractions (halves), including adding,
subtracting and multiplying with mixed numbers in an engaging, real world context. As part of the students' role on a survival expedition they will also learn about providing protein, and the weights and habits of different fish species.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended with the other levels across 2-3 lessons.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Teacher Guide
– Get an overview of the Performance Task, including helpful suggestions for use and the skills and standards alignment.
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation. Students start by practicing a key skill matched to a math standard. This portion of the lesson could be used alone to practice this skill.
* Level 2 Activity
– Adding some complexity. Students integrate a different skill or set of skills which they apply to the context of the task.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the critical thinking! Students are stretched to reason with math and data to come to conclusions working at Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4. They might work in groups or this could be used as an extension activity.
* Finale Activities
– Extend the learning. Each Performance Task also includes a selection of options to extend the math lesson into another subject (usually ELA).
* Complete Answer Key
– All Performance Tasks come with a complete answer key for all activities.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This task comes with both a teacher and student print-out. The teacher print-out includes a teacher guide and answer key.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other math Performance Tasks for 3rd-5th grade!