Crafting for Minecraft Performance Task for 5th grade
In the Crafting for Minecraft Performance Task, students use real information about the popular video game to practice narrative reading and writing in an engaging, real world context. Students take on the role of an authors for Mojang and write a children's story based on the game. They read other stories about video games and study images taken from games. They then plan their story set in the game and get feedback in a writers' workshop, before writing their final story.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended to make a short writing unit across a week.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation through reading. Students start by annotating and analyzing a text that carefully models the text type and answering standards aligned reading questions.
* Level 2 Activity
– Starting to write. Students use what they have learned so far to complete a short piece of writing or research or plan for their extended writing piece.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the collaboration! Fun and engaging speaking and listening activities through authentic simulations lead students toward their final piece of extended writing.
* Finale Activities
– Finish up. Each Performance Task ends with five options for extended writing of the same text type within the real-world context. Finale options reach Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4.
* Answer Key & Rubrics
– All Performance Tasks come with an answer key and rubrics, including grading guidance for teachers.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This set comes with both teacher and student print-outs. Teacher print-outs include a teacher guide, answer key and rubrics.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other ELA Performance Tasks for 3rd-5th grade!