Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
3.72 MB | 12 pages
"What are Inherited Traits Do You Have " is a 12 pages handout design to help your students understand and learn:Genetic traits, dominant, recessive, phenotype and genotype.
This survey lab is a fun way to talk about genetics, and make observations about individuals in the classroom. This handout is going to give your students the opportunity to:
Take an inventory of their own observable genetic traits. Your students will observe how their trait inventories differ from those of others. Your students will record their observations in a data table make a bar graph to show the most and least common traits in the group and analyze their results.
1. Your students are going to identify which of the twelve human traits they and their parents have by placing a check mark beside each trait.
2. Your students are going to draw their phenotype and describe their main traits.
3. You r students are going to identify their Genotype. Using the Table No 1 and the Genotype key.
4. Your students are going to compare the traits they have with other students in your classroom. Using table No 2
5. Your students are going to make a bar graph of their results.
6. Your students are going to analyze their results
Time Required: 90 minutes
Copies of this handout / one per student
Ages: 11 - 14
USA grades: 5 - 8
Materials: Genetic Inventory handout
Learning Objectives:-Students will determine the presence of certain high frequency traits in themselves and their classmates.-Students will understand a number of easily observable genetic traits.--Students will compare the traits they have with the other students in the class.-Students will construct and read a data table and bar graph
Common Core Standards : LS3: Heredity: Inheritance and Variation of Traits. How can individuals of the same species and even siblings have different characteristics (3-LS1-1) LS3.A: Inheritance of Trait Many characteristics of organisms are inherited from their parents. (3-LS3-1 -Many characteristics involve both inheritance and environment. (3-LS3-2 LS3.B: Variation of Trait Different organisms vary in how they look and function because they have different inherited information. (3-LS3- 1 The environment also affects the traits that an organism develops. (3-LS3-2)