GEOGRAPHY - 100 USA Map Questions for Atlas & Internet (Grades 3-7).
Self-directed geography questions, suitable for atlas or internet maps.
Use questions for morning work, homework, or unit transitions. Students learn basic spatial locations of American states and cities.
Preview same as Download.
This listing is part of the larger Geography Bundle: Maps, Questions, Labeling.
1. What are the capitals of West Virginia and Maryland?
2. Which state is larger: Kansas or Kentucky?
3. Name two states directly south of Montana.
4. Which river borders both Oregon and Washington?
5. Name three large cities in Florida.
6. Which states would you cross walking directly from Pierre, SD to Sacramento, CA?
7. Name four large cities adjacent to the Pacific Ocean.
8. What states border Indiana?
9. Name four states in the Rocky Mountains.
10. What states border the Gulf of Mexico?
11. What is the next closest capital to St. Paul, MN?
12. Which is farther west: St. Louis, MO or New Orleans, LA?
13. What states border Georgia?
14. Name three large cities in Illinois.
15. What states border Canada?
16. Name the four states that meet at one point.
17. List the Great Lakes. (Hint: HOMES)
18. What are the capitals of Nevada and Arizona?
19. Which is closer to Detroit, MI: South Dakota or Arkansas?
20. Name a city in Ohio that starts with “A”.
21. Name four states that start with “N”.
22. How far is it from Memphis, TN to Baltimore, MD?
23. List three states in the Appalachian Mountains.
24. What states border Massachusetts?
25. How far is it from San Francisco, CA to Los Angeles, CA?
26. Name three large cities in Washington.
27. Which Great Lake is the largest?
28. Is Salt Lake City, UT farther east than Las Vegas, NV?
29. What are the capitals of New Hampshire and Ohio?
30. What states border New York?
31. A panhandle is a piece of land that extends out from the main body. Idaho is a “panhandle” state. Name two other states that have a panhandle.
32. What is the distance from Las Vegas, NV to Denver, CO?
33. List three major rivers in the United States.
34. What states border Texas?
35. Which state is smaller: Connecticut or Delaware?
36. Is Omaha, Nebraska farther south than Louisville, KY?
37. What are the state capitals of New Mexico and Kansas?
38. Is the capital of Hawaii on its largest island?
39. What is interesting about Alaska’s capital? Why do you think it is in this location?
40. How far is it from Albany, NY to Philadelphia, PA?
41. Name a large city in western Missouri.
42. What are the capitals of North Carolina and Wyoming?
43. Name two large cities in Wisconsin.
44. What states border South Carolina?
45. Which state is larger: Colorado or Pennsylvania?
46. What river borders Oklahoma and Texas?
47. If you traveled directly from Pierre, SD to Miami, FL, what states would you cross?
48. What states border the Great Lakes?
49. Which city is farther north: Tallahassee, FL or Mobile, AL?
50. How far is it from San Diego, CA to Washington, D.C.?
51. Name three large cities bordering the Atlantic Ocean.
52. The Mississippi River starts in Minnesota and empties into the Gulf of Mexico. List the states that border the river.
53. List three states that begin with “C”.
54. What states border West Virginia?
55. Name all the states that start with “New”.
56. List three states in the Great Plains.
57. Name three states larger than Alabama.
58. Rank the following states in size from smallest to greatest: Wyoming, Oregon, Louisiana, Ohio.
59. How far is it from Orlando, FL to Oklahoma City, OK?
60. State borders were usually created two ways: mathematical lines or natural borders, like rivers and mountains. Name three states with both lines and natural borders.
61. Name a capital that starts with “S”.
62. Find a state capital whose name has more letters than Idaho’s capital.
63. What states border New Hampshire?
64. Is Illinois east or west of Kansas?
65. Name three large cities in North Carolina.
66. What states lie between Texas and North Dakota?
67. What states border Mississippi and Vermont?
68. Name three large cities within 100 miles of New Jersey.
69. Which state is closer to Iowa: Delaware or New Mexico?
70. What states border Massachusetts?
71. What are the capitals of Louisiana and Michigan?
72. If a plane flew directly from Santa Fe, NM to Concord, NH, which states would it cross?
73. How many states border Kentucky?
74. Name three states directly south of Lake Michigan.
75. Which is closer to Maryland: Texas or North Dakota?
76. Name three states north of Arkansas.
77. Is Connecticut closer to Montana or Colorado?
78. What states are directly between Rhode Island and Delaware?
79. List all states directly west of Minnesota.
80. Name the states bordering Chesapeake Bay.
81. What states border the Colorado River?
82. How far is it from Denver, CO to New York, NY?
83. Name three large cities in Texas.
84. What states are crossed flying directly from Lansing, MI to Baltimore, MD?
85. Name three states west of the Missouri River.
86. List these cities from north to south: Atlanta, GA; Charlotte, SC; Nashville, TN.
87. Name three port cities on the Gulf of Mexico.
88. Is Lincoln, NE closer to the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean?
89. How far is it from Fairbanks, AK to Juneau, AK?
90. Order these states from west to east: Tennessee, Virginia, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Alabama, Rhode Island.
91. How far is it from Portland, OR to Birmingham, AL?
92. Name three large cities in Indiana.
93. What are the capitals of Oregon and Connecticut?
94. Name two deserts in the American Southwest.
95. What states border both Kansas and Arkansas?
96. Name the mountain range in both Oregon and Washington.
97. How far is it across Washington state?
98. Name three large cities in southern California.
99. List three Hawaiian islands.
100. Label 50 states (worksheet)
Be the entertainment on cross country road trips!
Return to The Harstad Collection.