Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
GEOGRAPHY - 200 USA & World Map Questions for Atlas & Internet (Grades 3-7).
Be the Cliff Clavin of the school yard. Self-directed geography questions, suitable for atlas or internet maps.
Use questions for morning work, homework, or unit transitions. Students learn basic spatial locations of American states, countries, and cities.
• Zipped in PDF and editable Word.
Preview same as Download.
This listing is part of the larger Geography Bundle: Maps, Questions, Labeling.
1. What are the capitals of West Virginia and Maryland?
2. Which state is larger: Kansas or Kentucky?
3. Name two states directly south of Montana.
4. Which river borders both Oregon and Washington?
5. Name three large cities in Florida.
6. Which states would you cross walking directly from Pierre, SD to Sacramento, CA?
7. Name four large cities adjacent to the Pacific Ocean.
8. What states border Indiana?
9. Name four states in the Rocky Mountains.
10. What states border the Gulf of Mexico?
11. What is the next closest capital to St. Paul, MN?
12. Which is farther west: St. Louis, MO or New Orleans, LA?
13. What states border Georgia?
14. Name three large cities in Illinois.
15. What states border Canada?
16. Name the four states that meet at one point.
17. List the Great Lakes. (Hint: HOMES)
18. What are the capitals of Nevada and Arizona?
19. Which is closer to Detroit, MI: South Dakota or Arkansas?
20. Name a city in Ohio that starts with “A”.
21. Name four states that start with “N”.
22. How far is it from Memphis, TN to Baltimore, MD?
23. List three states in the Appalachian Mountains.
24. What states border Massachusetts?
25. How far is it from San Francisco, CA to Los Angeles, CA?
26. Name three large cities in Washington.
27. Which Great Lake is the largest?
28. Is Salt Lake City, UT farther east than Las Vegas, NV?
29. What are the capitals of New Hampshire and Ohio?
30. What states border New York?
31. A panhandle is a piece of land that extends out from the main body. Idaho is a “panhandle” state. Name two other states that have a panhandle.
32. What is the distance from Las Vegas, NV to Denver, CO?
33. List three major rivers in the United States.
34. What states border Texas?
35. Which state is smaller: Connecticut or Delaware?
36. Is Omaha, Nebraska farther south than Louisville, KY?
37. What are the state capitals of New Mexico and Kansas?
38. Is the capital of Hawaii on its largest island?
39. What is interesting about Alaska’s capital? Why do you think it is in this location?
40. How far is it from Albany, NY to Philadelphia, PA?
41. Name a large city in western Missouri.
42. What are the capitals of North Carolina and Wyoming?
43. Name two large cities in Wisconsin.
44. What states border South Carolina?
45. Which state is larger: Colorado or Pennsylvania?
46. What river borders Oklahoma and Texas?
47. If you traveled directly from Pierre, SD to Miami, FL, what states would you cross?
48. What states border the Great Lakes?
49. Which city is farther north: Tallahassee, FL or Mobile, AL?
50. How far is it from San Diego, CA to Washington, D.C.?
51. Name three large cities bordering the Atlantic Ocean.
52. The Mississippi River starts in Minnesota and empties into the Gulf of Mexico. List the states that border the river.
53. List three states that begin with “C”.
54. What states border West Virginia?
55. Name all the states that start with “New”.
56. List three states in the Great Plains.
57. Name three states larger than Alabama.
58. Rank the following states in size from smallest to greatest: Wyoming, Oregon, Louisiana, Ohio.
59. How far is it from Orlando, FL to Oklahoma City, OK?
60. State borders were usually created two ways: mathematical lines or natural borders, like rivers and mountains. Name three states with both lines and natural borders.
61. Name a capital that starts with “S”.
62. Find a state capital whose name has more letters than Idaho’s capital.
63. What states border New Hampshire?
64. Is Illinois east or west of Kansas?
65. Name three large cities in North Carolina.
66. What states lie between Texas and North Dakota?
67. What states border Mississippi and Vermont?
68. Name three large cities within 100 miles of New Jersey.
69. Which state is closer to Iowa: Delaware or New Mexico?
70. What states border Massachusetts?
71. What are the capitals of Louisiana and Michigan?
72. If a plane flew directly from Santa Fe, NM to Concord, NH, which states would it cross?
73. How many states border Kentucky?
74. Name three states directly south of Lake Michigan.
75. Which is closer to Maryland: Texas or North Dakota?
76. Name three states north of Arkansas.
77. Is Connecticut closer to Montana or Colorado?
78. What states are directly between Rhode Island and Delaware?
79. List all states directly west of Minnesota.
80. Name the states bordering Chesapeake Bay.
81. What states border the Colorado River?
82. How far is it from Denver, CO to New York, NY?
83. Name three large cities in Texas.
84. What states are crossed flying directly from Lansing, MI to Baltimore, MD?
85. Name three states west of the Missouri River.
86. List these cities from north to south: Atlanta, GA; Charlotte, SC; Nashville, TN.
87. Name three port cities on the Gulf of Mexico.
88. Is Lincoln, NE closer to the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean?
89. How far is it from Fairbanks, AK to Juneau, AK?
90. Order these states from west to east: Tennessee, Virginia, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Alabama, Rhode Island.
91. How far is it from Portland, OR to Birmingham, AL?
92. Name three large cities in Indiana.
93. What are the capitals of Oregon and Connecticut?
94. Name two deserts in the American Southwest.
95. What states border both Kansas and Arkansas?
96. Name the mountain range in both Oregon and Washington.
97. How far is it across Washington state?
98. Name three large cities in southern California.
99. List three Hawaiian islands.
100. Label 50 states (worksheet)
101. What are the capitals of Brazil and Libya?
102. Which country is larger: Kenya or Syria?
103. Name two countries directly south of Uzbekistan.
104. Which direction does India’s Ganges River flow?
105. Name three large cities in Russia.
106. Which countries would you cross walking directly from Rome, Italy to Poland?
107. Name four countries surrounded by the Pacific Ocean.
108. What countries border Chad?
109. Name four countries in the Caribbean Sea.
110. What countries border the Paraguay?
111. What is the next closest capital to Lusaka, Zambia?
112. Which is closer to the Equator: Mongolia or Greece?
113. What countries border France?
114. Name three large cities in Germany.
115. Name three countries in the Sahara Desert?
116. Order these countries north to south: India, Chile, Finland, Gabon.
117. List four seas north of the Equator.
118. What are the capitals of Canada and Vietnam?
119. Where does the Nile River end?
120. Name three countries that start with “R”.
121. Name three countries between USA and Colombia.
122. How far is it from Washington, D.C. to London, UK?
123. List three countries in Europe’s Alps mountains.
124. What countries border Nepal?
125. How far is it from Oslo, Norway to Cairo, Egypt?
126. Name three large cities in Australia.
127. Name three seas bordering Asia.
128. Order from south to north: Thailand, Ireland, Peru?
129. What are the capitals of Bolivia and South Korea?
130. What countries border Iraq?
131. Describe the location of the Andes mountains. (3 sentences)
132. What is the distance from Madrid, Spain to Moscow, Russia?
133. List three major rivers in Europe.
134. What countries border Guatemala?
135. Which country is smaller: Mauritania or North Korea?
136. Is Helsinki, Finland farther south than Montreal, Canada?
137. What are the capitals of Liberia and Indonesia?
138. Is the capital of Japan on its largest island?
139. Name three countries inside the Arctic Circle.
140. How far is it from Warsaw, Poland, to Tokyo, Japan?
141. Name three large cities in France besides Paris.
142. What are the capitals of Australia and Turkey?
143. Name two large cities in United Kingdom besides London.
144. What countries border Suriname?
145. Name three countries on the Tropic of Cancer?
146. What mountains border France and Spain?
147. If you traveled directly from Calcutta, India to Athens, Greece, what countries would you cross?
148. Name two countries surrounded by Italy?
149. Which city is farther north: Mecca, Saudi Arabia or San Juan, Puerto Rico?
150. How far is it from Quito, Ecuador to Chicago, IL?
151. Name three Asian cities bordering the Pacific Ocean.
152. The Mediterranean Sea has long been important in trading goods between Africa, Asia, and Europe. Name six countries bordering the sea.
153. List three countries that begin with “B”.
154. What countries border Laos?
155. Name three Asian countries larger than Armenia.
156. List three countries in South America north of the Tropic of Capricorn.
157. Which country is closer to the International Date Line: Belize or Panama.
158. Rank the following countries in size from smallest to greatest: Netherlands, Andorra, Slovenia, Hungary
159. How far is it from Berlin, Germany to London, United Kingdom?
160. After Canada and Mexico, what are the third and fourth nearest countries to the United States?
161. Describe the location of the Atlas Mountains (2 sentences).
162. Find a country capital whose name has more letters than Lithuania’s capital.
163. What countries border Botswana?
164. Is Lake Victoria, Africa larger or smaller than Lake Michigan, USA?
165. Name three large cities in Argentina.
166. Name four countries between Egypt and Somalia?
167. What countries border Slovakia?
168. Name three large cities closest to Brussels, Belgium.
169. Which country is closer to Iceland: Canada or Finland?
170. How far is it from Lisbon, Portugal to Jerusalem, Israel?
171. What are the capitals of Jamaica and Chile?
172. If a plane flew directly between the capitals of Ecuador and Paraguay, which countries would it cross?
173. Name three countries that start with “N”.
174. How far is it from Los Angeles, CA to Tokyo, Japan.
175. Which is closer to Madagascar: Sweden or Kazakhstan?
176. Name three large cities in Spain.
177. How far is it across Australia?
178. What two small island countries lie east of Madagascar?
179. List three countries on the Adriatic Sea.
180. What mountain range divides Russia into Asia and Europe.
181. What countries are between Senegal and Liberia?
182. How far is it from Sao Paulo, Brazil to Cape Town, South Africa?
183. Name three large cities in Japan besides Tokyo.
184. What countries are crossed flying directly from Montreal, Canada to Managua, Nicaragua?
185. Name three countries bordering the Indian Ocean.
186. List these countries from north to south: The Bahamas, Grenada, USA, Haiti.
187. Name three countries that start with “K”.
188. List three gulfs (an inlet of a sea) in the world?
189. How far is it from Stockholm, Sweden to Reykjavik, Iceland?
190. Order these countries from west to east: Mongolia, Lebanon, New Zealand, South Korea.
191. How far is it from Moldova’s capital to Austria’s capital?
192. Name three seas in the northern hemisphere.
193. What are the capitals of Venezuela and New Zealand?
194. Name three world deserts.
195. What country is smaller: Liechtenstein or Monaco?
196. Name two island countries surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea.
197. What is the longest distance across Iceland?
198. What direction does the Amazon River flow?
199. List two African capitals whose names are longer than Tunisia’s capital.
200. Label 13 country silhouettes (worksheet)
It's a little known fact, Normy...
Return to The Harstad Collection.