This novel by Gloria Whelan is excellent as either a class or group novel and also makes a terrific read-aloud. It is a great comparison for the recent situation Syrian refugees are experiencing, too. This study unit includes the following:
- Focus questions for every chapter,
- Discussion and writing topics, including compare/contrast, analysis, creative writing, and prediction, aligning with CCSS ELA Writing W 1,2,3,
- Word study including spelling ladders, and fill-in-the-blank context sentences,
- A glossary,
- An essential question,
- A word search for names in the novel,
- Maps and board notes for overhead projectors/doc cameras, or smart boards
- ANSWERS INCLUDED
I have attached my CCSS ELA 6,7,8 Reading Literature Check List.
Please see the preview for samples of two focus question pages and one page of the test.
For activities that go along with Vietnam studies, here is another product I sell.
For other Gloria Whelan historical fiction studies, I have -
LISTENING FOR LIONS
NIGHT of the FULL MOON