This is a very versatile activity that can be used in so many different ways. This could be used in a second or third grade classroom as review or as a companion to the normal grammar unit or as a center. It could possibly be used for a differentiated higher level first grade group. The unit can be taught in whatever order you like.
I am always thinking of new ways to study grammar and to make it meaningful yet fun. I am a project person and wanted to incorporate that into grammar. I finally came up with this idea. I use graphic organizers all the time in reading and writing so I thought why not try to combine all the center activities I do into a presentation somehow? And the Grammar Organizer Board was created!
Activities included for common nouns, proper nouns and pronouns:
• Writing the definition of a noun and making a small booklet
• Sorting- pictures of nouns by person, place, thing or animal on a chart
• Sorting- noun and not noun words in small pockets
• Writing the definition of proper nouns and providing written examples- flip book
• Sorting- common noun and proper noun words in small pockets
• Writing the definition of a pronoun then making a booklet of sorted reflexive, relative, possessive and personal pronouns in a book
• Rewriting sentences by replacing nouns with pronouns in a book