Students will demonstrate the ability to:
1. greet others, introduce themselves, bid farewell, and ask others how they are doing
2. apply phrases of courtesy
3. communicate clearly and respectfully in the appropriate register
4. plan and structure a presentation
Standards: Communication and Cultures
L1: Demonstrate command of conventions and grammar when writing and speaking
L3: Apply knowledge of language functions in order to affect comprehension and expression across contexts
L5: Demonstrate understanding of figurative expression, word relationships, and nuances in language
SL1: Participate effectively in a range of conversations demonstrating the ability to understand the ideas of others and clearly express your own
SL2: Evaluate and use information from diverse media to understand and communicate
SL3: Evaluate a speaker’s perspective, purpose and audience by the use of rhetoric, tone, and non-verbal cues
SL4: Present information in a clear, organized fashion appropriate to task and culture
SL6: Adapt speech to a variety of contexts, audiences, and situations using the culturally appropriate registers and conventions
Materials Used: project description and instructions, dialogue planning forms, peer observation guides, grading rubric
1. Students prepare a dialogue demonstrating an understanding of the Greetings and Courtesies Unit of study.
2. Students develop their dialogue using either an informal or formal situation.
3. Students present their dialogues to their peers.