Subject/Level: Spanish, Level 1
Unit: Greetings and Courtesies
Prior Learning: Students are familiar with greetings, introductions, farewells, phrases of courtesy, and asking and answering “How are you?”
Assessment Objectives: Students will demonstrate the ability to:
1. greet others, introduce themselves, bid farewell, and ask others how they are doing
2. apply phrases of courtesy
3. communicate clearly and respectfully in the appropriate register
4. plan and structure a presentation
Standards: Communication, Cultures
L1: Demonstrate command of conventions and grammar when writing and speaking.
L3: Apply knowledge of language functions in order to affect comprehension and expression across contexts.
L5: Demonstrate understanding of figurative expression, word relationships, and nuances in language.
SL1: Participate effectively in a range of conversations demonstrating the ability to understand the ideas of others and clearly express your own.
SL2: Evaluate and use information from diverse media to understand and communicate.
SL3: Evaluate a speaker’s perspective, purpose and audience by the use of rhetoric, tone, and non-verbal cues.
SL4: Present information in a clear, organized fashion appropriate to task and culture.
SL6: Adapt speech to a variety of contexts, audiences, and situations using the culturally appropriate registers and conventions.
Materials Used: project description and instructions, dialogue planning forms, peer observation guides, grading rubric
1. Students prepare a dialogue demonstrating an understanding of the Greetings and Courtesies Unit of study.
2. Students develop their dialogue using either an informal or formal situation.
3. Students present their dialogues to their peers.