The Learning Pit Activity
This bulletin board is fantastic for supporting growth mindset in your classroom! Using the concept of The Learning Put, the students can look at what statements build a fixed mindset, and what statements reflect a growth mindset as they travel through the learning pit. To support their learning, the bulletin board provides students with strategies they can use to escape the pit in the music classroom, teaching them how to problem solve and reflect on their learning.
I use this pit at the start of the term to describe what emotions students may feel when faced with challenges in the music classroom.
• Poster describing what the learning pit is
• Signs you're in the pit chart including the most common statements students say when challenged eg. "this is too hard", "this is good enough", "i'm not good at music" ect.
• Positive growth mindset statements that help student escape the pit eg. "How can I make this better?", "can you show me" ect.
• A list of 7 strategies students can put into place to help them regroup and overcome the challenge.
• Colour and Black & White copies included
An example of the bulletin board can be seen in the preview images above.