In this mini-writing unit, “Gather Together- Food Critique Mini-Unit,” students will practice using critical analysis skills to critique imaginary restaurants. To extend the learning one step further, students will become food critics, using a pre-made observation chart to review a series of meals (at home or during school lunches). The will then use descriptive language (especially sensory details) to write a review that centers on the four major aspects of restaurant success- atmosphere, service, meal quality, and meal presentation. Through guided journaling, peer discussions, and hands-on observation students will engage in the art of critical analysis using a medium we all love- food!
This pack includes:
- A One Week Guide for Teachers: Contains step by step instructions for conducting the unit
- Student Handouts: Journal questions, discussion questions, a section for recording ratings and observations, a note-taking section, and a space for writing the rough draft/final copy
- Slideshow of imaginary restaurant scenarios, observation charts, student notes, and sample critical review
- Sample final copy of published critical review
- Rubric included for easy grading