This project from Wild Child Designs is designed to be used with the picture book, "The Quiltmaker's Gift" by Jeff Brumbeau. It covers story vocabulary, types of conflict, theme, and using context clues.
Students also engage in a debate-style Tug of War Thinking Routine where they write to defend their opinions, and evaluate the positions that other classmates ahve taken.
It also includes a bulletin board Generosity Calendar display (think Advent calendar). Each day students take off the top quilt square to reveal the generosity challenge for the day.
When students complete the generosity challenge, they color the corresponding quilt square on their Generosity Journal Page. The goal is to fill up all 21 one squares. There is a quilt square and Generosity Calendar Challenge square for each school day in December. HOWEVER, this project could be done at any time of the school year because the picture book is NOT a Christmas-themed book. I've also done the calendar project as a WHOLE SCHOOL challenge! It's engaging and fun!
This is what you get in this 99 page project:
1. 10 pages of Teacher Talk directions for each of the four parts.
2. 7 pages of colored vocabulary hearts (14 vocab words).
3. One black and white vocabulary graphic organizer page for student use.
4. 7 gorgeously colored context clues/vocabulary mini posters (14 vocab words).
5. Four 8 1/2" X 11" colored posters about THEME, PROTAGONISTS, ANTAGONISTS, & TYPES OF CONFLICT.
6. A three page theme activity packet, minimally colored, for student use.
7. Four 8 1/2" X 11" colored Theme Hearts for a Tug of War Thinking Routine Activity.
8. Minimally colored tug of war reflection page for student use.
9. One Generosity Journal Page for student use (black and white).
10. 21 Generosity Calendar Challenge squares (black and white).
11. 21 EDITABLE Generosity Calendar Challenge squares (black and white).
12. 21 Generosity Calendar Quilt Cover Pages (black and white, for students to color).