This project requires students to do extensive research on a genetic disorder/disease/syndrome picked at random. This project is directed to work in partners, but you could vary this to individual or larger group.
Topics required for this research include:
1. The name and definition of the disorder
2. The symptoms or signs of the disorder
3. How do you get the disorder (genetically speaking – use a Punnett Square if possible and explain in detail)?
4. What tests are carried out to identify the disease?
5. Pictures that relate to the disorder
6. How does the disorder affect that person's daily life? What are their limitations because of the disorder? What is the average life expectancy of a person with the disorder?
7. On average, how many people have this disorder? (for example, 1 out of every 5000 people, or 1% of the population) I basically need a statistic to see how common this disease is.
8. Are there any treatments, prevention, or therapies for the disorder?
9. What support organizations are available for those connected to the disorder?
10. Additional information, extra, interesting, etc.
Rubrics, Peer Evaluation, Audience Sheet, and Disorder Strips for topic choice are included!