The following is two-day (75 minute period) common core-based lesson on Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empire. The lessons contain a variety of activities that promote critical thinking, class discussion, and an array of other social studies skills.
Topics covered in this lesson include:
• Mongol culture
• Rise of Genghis Khan
• The Mongol Empire
• Pax Mongolica
• Mongol conquest of Russia
• Marco Polo
Activities included in this lesson:
• Do now that reviews previous lesson comparing European and Japanese feudalism.
• video on Mongol culture – with questions
• Link to video clip from movie “Mongol” – with questions
• Primary and secondary source readings
• NEW: What was Genghis Khan really like activity
• Judging the Mongols Debate
• Answer the aim – create a thesis statement with supporting evidence.
• Over 15 fact-based and critical thinking questions
• Enormous opportunities for class discussion
NEW! Lesson plan included with step-by-step teacher moves.
NEW! Answer key!
I also offer a supplementary reading on Mongol rule in China...
Mongol Rule in China reading - Global/World History
If you are interested in one of the activities and not the entire lesson, I also offer two of the most popular activities separately.
What Was Genghis Khan Really Like? Source Analysis - Global/World History
"Judging the Mongols" - Genghis Khan - Global/World History
Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns regarding this lesson. Follow me to receive notifications for newly uploaded products. Finally, take a moment to rate your satisfaction with this product if you decide to purchase it. Thank you so much!