This is an all-in-one research packet for Genius Hour! I used a theme for this year: Make the World a Better Place. The students were challenged to pick a topic they were passionate about that could change the world or their community.
It includes the following:
1. Title Page (name, grade, homeroom)
2. Introduction to Genius Hour page
3. Standards, Learning Targets, and Competencies
4. Choosing a Topic Page (a place to brainstorm, pick a topic, write a driving question, and pick mini-questions that will help them research specific areas of their topic)
5. Finding Valuable Resources page (provided search engines to help them locate specific websites that help them answer their mini questions.
6. Checklist (takes them through all the steps they need to complete...includes a place for their initials and the teacher too!)
7. Sources Page (a place to write down websites/books used with author, date used, etc)
8. Making Connections (a place for the student to write 1-2 paragraphs about how their topic connects to the theme, Make the World a Better Place)
9. Project Planning Sheet (a place for students to brainstorm how they are going to share their project with others with questions about engaging the audience and demonstrating creativity)
10. Self Reflection Sheet (students will share their positives and things they want to improve upon for next time about their projects)
11. Rubric (a 7-category rubric to score students on planning/organization, content, writing/conventions, creativity, stretch, product, and presentation)
12. Research Sheets (5-6 sheets for students to write facts about each mini question. Each sheet has 8 fact boxes)