Help! You're Stuck in a Book is an escape room loaded with puzzles for students to learn about different genres of books in an engaging, and interactive way. Students must solve 11 clues to unlock the codes that will help them get back to their class. Check out the preview and video to see more!
How does it work?
Students begin on a webpage with the scenario. They follow the directions and are then taken to the digital escape room. Students click the start button for the first lock and the first clue. There are eleven clues and locks in all, covering 10 different genres and one review page of all genres. The genres included are:
- historical fiction
- traditional literature (fairy tales, folk tales, etc.)
- realistic fiction
- science fiction
Clues include puzzles, codes, matching games, word searches, and more!
This escape room will probably take students approximately 60 minutes to complete, depending on student ability levels. However, because it has more clues than my other escape rooms, you may need to split it over 2 days. A time limit may be given, but this can cause stress so determine what is best for your class. Some of the benefits of kids using these in teams are:
- Develops teamwork and collaboration
- Builds critical thinking skills
- Promotes problem-solving skills
- Promotes communication
- Paperless and No Prep
- Reinforces concepts
- Engaging and fun!
Included in this download
- Teacher Guide of directions on how to use the resource with tips for how to introduce a digital escape room
- Link to Help! You're Stuck in a Book! Google Sites™ escape room
- Answer Keys for all of the activities and lock codes
- QR Code (for accessing the site with mobile devices using a QR code reader app)
- Digital and printable recording sheet to keep track of clues
- Great for e-learning, just send the links to parents' email and they're off to solve the mystery from home! Parents can download the PDF worksheet for students to take notes if desired.
Digital Escape Room Tip for Teachers:
Check your school's website filter before beginning the escape room. You will need access to:
Before purchasing, please check to make sure you will be able to use these sites. Please play the escape room and check to be sure your student devices will work with the websites listed above.
This fun and engaging digital mystery is NO PREP and completely PAPERLESS. Just share the Google Sites™ website with your students and watch the excitement begin! It works great with Google Classroom, too!
- Access to Computers, Laptops, Chromebooks or mobile devices
- Google Forms™
See what others are saying.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Ericka F. said:
This was SO much fun! I used this with my students at the end of the year and they were asking why we didn't do more of it throughout the year. This is a perfect activity. It is engaging and encourages critical thinking.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Growing and Learning with Mrs Nix said:
This was one of the best resources I have ever purchased. My students LOVED this escape room. It was easy to assign and figure out how to use. The work was challenging enough to keep them engaged and working hard but still possible for them to figure out with some trial and error. This was a very fun way to review genres.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Jessie G. said:
This escape room has a “wow” factor and got my 5th graders excited and involved right from the beginning! Before I assigned it, I had a slight issue and asked a question and within a few hours, everything was resolved and working perfectly! Highly recommend!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rachel B. said:
My students loved this Escape Room! I used this to review the different genres of books at the beginning of the year. BUT I think I will use this again as a refresher at different times during the year. The students were ENGAGED the whole time during this activity. This is also a good introduction to Escape Rooms since this one is not as challenging as the other ones Hilary has created. I also just saw the new writing prompts posted that can go along with genres so we may use these alongside this! I love that this covers all of the genres that kids need to know, there are even some they might not be as familiar with. If you haven't done any of Hilary's Escape Rooms, do this one to start. I guarantee you students will LOVE this and learn at the same time!
- St. Patrick's Day-Grammar Review
- Immigration at Ellis Island
- Holidays Around the World
- Back to School
- Black History-Civil Rights Leaders
- Earth Day
- The Oregon Trail
- Field Day-Grammar Review
- Edward Tulane
- Honey Bees FREE
- Stan the Snowman-Winter Fun Puzzles
One-lock informational Mini-Escapes:
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Rosa Parks
- Frederick Douglass
- Harriet Tubman
- Chinese New Year
- Groundhog Day
- Ruby Bridges
- Point of View with Fairy Tales
- History of Earth Day
- Importance of Trees and Plants - Earth Day
- The Life Cycle of a Chicken
- The Life Cycle of a Butterfly
- Cinco de Mayo
- Math Battle 3rd Grade - 4th Grade - 5th Grade
- Find the Imposter 2nd Grade - 3rd Grade - 4th Grade - 5th Grade
Be sure to check out the preview to see what's included.
Thanks for stopping by!
Follow me on Instagram! I'd love for you to share pics of your kids in action!