This product, by It’s Not Rocket Science, contains everything you need to teach the geochemical cycles (nutrient cycles.) Students will take notes and complete supplemental activities for each of the three main geochemical cycles: water, carbon and nitrogen. After covering the content, students will be assessed on their knowledge in the form of a quiz. The notes are provided in an editable PowerPoint format and the quiz comes in two levels – honors and College Prep – in order to best meet the needs of your classroom.
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
The geochemical cycles aren’t hard for students to understand, but they are easy to get confused. I love this product because each cycle has a memorable activity to go with it to help students organize the content in their minds more effectively as they learn. The activities are also extremely easy to implement and give the students an opportunity to be creative – which I always love! This product also has everything you need to teach this topic – so it is no prep for you!
What is included?
• 5 pages of teacher implementation notes
• 3 pages of student handouts
• 12 pages of stations to cut and post around room for nitrogen cycle activity
• 2 quizzes – 1 for honors level and 1 for College Prep level class
• Answer key for quizzes
• 22 slide PowerPoint presentation for notes
• Sample student work
How does this connect to NGSS*?
This mini-unit addresses the following standards:
- : Use mathematical representations to support claims for the cycling of matter and flow of energy among organisms in an ecosystem.
- : Develop a model to illustrate the role of photosynthesis and cellular respiration in the cycling of carbon among the biosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, and geosphere.
It also incorporates the following science and engineering practices:
- Develop and use models
- Obtain, evaluate, and communicate information
Lastly, it connects to the following crosscutting concepts:
- Systems and system models
- Energy and matter
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Ecology Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking here!
Looking for other ecology resources?
Check out some of my favorites by clicking below!
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name, join my email newsletter, or follow me on Instagram. These are the three best ways to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
*Note: NGSS is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.