Your middle school students will use the geographic inquiry process to investigate the environmental, economic, political, and social impacts of natural disasters.
Students will formulate questions, research, and look for answers to the inquiry question: What are the possible environmental, economic, political, and social impacts of natural disasters?
This project includes:
- A page outlining the purpose of the project and the inquiry question to be explored.
- A page listing the 5 steps of the geographic inquiry process
- A separate page with more detailed info for each of the 5 steps of the geographic inquiry process (1 page per step)
- 1 page about primary sources and examples
- 1 page about secondary sources and examples
- 1 page (8.5x11) poster stating the inquiry question
- a graphic organizer (printable) for students to use for step 1 (formulating questions and jotting notes to answer them)-2 pages
- a graphic organizer (printable) for students to use for step 3 (organizing info according to the types of impacts of natural disasters)
- a page outlining why to include a bibliography and how to cite sources (books and websites)
- 2 pages of exit slips (6 slips/page for less photocopying!): one page with blank exit slips so you can choose the topic, and a second page for students to list 3 things they have learned about natural disasters
- 1 page Project Completion Checklist for students to use as they work through the steps of the inquiry process
- 1 page simple mark rubric
- 1 page Student Self Reflection