Combine art and science with this set of geology themed art lessons! This unit includes four fully scripted geology themed art activities. Students create beautiful art as they learn about plate tectonics, how mountains are formed, what's under the earth's crust, why volcanoes erupt, and why fossils are commonly found in sedimentary rock. Scripted lessons make it easy for new teachers or group leaders to teach without extensive training. Most required materials are common household items, common school items, or easy to find art supplies. For a complete list of materials, please download the preview.
- Chalk Mountain: Students learn how mountains are formed and to identify and name the basic parts of a mountain range. Using pastel chalk students create a beautiful and unique representation of a mountain range.
- Sedimentary Weight: Students learn how sedimentary rock is formed and why fossils are most commonly found in sedimentary rock. Then they create their own layered art to represent sedimentary rock.
- Volcanic Activity Part 1: Students learn about plate tectonics and the formation of mountains through a series of simple and effective demonstrations. Afterwards, they begin creating their own papier mache volcanoes.
- Volcanic Activity Part 2: Students finish off their volcanoes and then learn why volcanoes erupt. Using baking soda and vinegar, they get to test out their newly completed volcanoes.
Included in this Geology Themed Art Pack
- Scripted Lesson: Chalk Mountain
- Image: Completed Chalk Mountain Art
- Scripted Lesson: Sedimentary Weight
- Scripted Lesson: Volcanic Activity - Part 1
- Scripted Lesson: Volcanic Activity - Part 2
- Image: Completed Volcano (inside view)
- Image: Completed Volcano (outside view)
To see materials lists, standards, and other helpful notes, please download the preview.
Scripted Afterschool Activities | Geology Theme | Art Pack
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License