You know that geology rocks and now your students will know it, too! This unit includes four fully scripted, hands-on science activities that teach concepts in geology while engaging students with projects and games. Scripted lessons make it easy for new teachers or group leaders to teach without extensive training. Activities can be completed in any order to allow for flexible scheduling and sharing of materials.
- Big Rock on the Block: Students learn about the three types of rock (igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic) and how each type of rock is formed.
- Chip Mining: Students learn about the importance of rocks and minerals in our daily lives, the resources mining provides and the environmental impact mining can have on plant and animal habitats.
- Movers and Shakers: Students learn about earthquakes, tectonic plates, and the Richter scale. Then they test their engineering skills by trying to build an earthquake resistant structure and testing it on the "Earthquake Simulator."
- Rock On: Specially designed for younger students, this activity teaches sorting and classification. Students also practice counting, sharing, and working in groups.
Included in this Geology Themed Science Pack
- Scripted Lesson: Big Rock on the Block
- Scripted Lesson: Chip Mining
- Student Worksheet: Chip Mining
- Scripted Lesson: Movers and Shakers
- Group Leader Worksheet: Building an Earthquake Simulator
- Scripted Lesson: Rock On (designed for younger students)
- Group Leader Worksheet: Building a Rock Sorting Mat
- Printable: Rock Cards (7 pages, 14 cards)
To see materials lists, standards, and other helpful notes, please download the preview.
Scripted Afterschool Activities | Geology Theme | Science Pack
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License