Rock your science curriculum! Kids explore rocks with articles, activities, games, and assessments. This rock unit can be used in a stand-alone sequence or added to your longer earth systems unit.
• Instructions for the Teacher
• Rocks and Minerals Article & Worksheet
• Rock Types Internet Activity
• Rock Properties Sheets
• Rock Identification Activity
• Fossils Articles & Worksheets
• Rock Cycle Article & Worksheet
• I Have/Who Has Review Game
• Study Guide
1. Read about rocks and minerals to discover their properties, similarities, and differences. Analyze properties of four materials and determine whether they are rocks, minerals, or neither.
2. Research and record information on sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks.
3. Learn about six properties of rocks: color, luster, hardness, streak, cleavage, and crystals. Use these properties to identify ten rocks.
4. Read about fossils and answer questions. Analyze a diagram to discover the order, organisms, and environment for each layer of earth.
5. Read about and discuss further information that fossils provide. Draw a cross-section diagram that shows an area covered first by land and then by water. Include fossils of your choice.
6. Read about the rock cycle. Label a diagram to show where sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks are being formed.
7. Review concepts with I Have/Who Has game and study guide.
8. Assess knowledge and understanding with two-page test.
Additional Science Units:
• Introduction to the Scientific Method
• Design Process
• Plant Parts
Click on Follow Me to be notified as other units are published.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
Do you love this resource but need help paying for it? When your school signs up for TpT for Schools, you can request resources to be purchased by your school. Share this video
with your administrator to get the conversation started.