Students use what they know about geometric constructions to create designs. There are four designs with step-by-step instructions for each.
You will download a .zip file that contains two files: one editable .doc file, and one .pdf version of that file for perfect formatting.
Note: This activity assumes students already know how to use a compass and straightedge to create…
- a regular hexagon inscribed in a circle
- an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle
- midpoints and perpendicular bisectors
- a circle circumscribed around a triangle (this construction is in Design A only)
The file you’ll download contains everything teachers and students will need:
- Teacher notes (see preview file)
- Step-by-step instruction sheets for four designs of varying difficulty
- Circle templates (If all students begin by inscribing a hexagon in a circle of a set radius, you can display the designs as a tessellation!)
I have created an 8-page file with illustrated step-by-step instructions for all compass-straightedge constructions found in the CCSS. That file can be found here: