- Product Description
These 8 games have everything you need for teaching CCSS-aligned first grade geometry for only $1 each! There are games for each geometry Common Core standard (1.G.A.1, 1.G.A.2, and 1.G.A.3) covering key skills such as:
• Identify shapes (two dimensional and three dimensional)
• Identify attributes that do and do not make a shape
• Build and draw 2D shapes to show attributes
• Compose and decompose shapes to create new shapes and composite shapes
• Identify equal parts
• Describe equal shares
• Partition circles and rectangles into equal shares
Although the games are perfect for two player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the product download (click the "Preview" button to the right to read about it now.) These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 8 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 30 pages of outer space-themed game boards and mats, game cards, spinners, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are page protector sheets, Vis-à-vis or dry erase markers, 2D shape manipulatives (like attribute blocks), and paperclips to make spinners.
UPDATED: PRINT AND GO! You now get a zip folder with purchase that includes individual PDFs for each game! If you only want to print and use one game at a time, you can easily print just the PDF with that game’s instructions and materials.
IMPORTANT: These games are designed to be introduced and modeled by the teacher before releasing students to play on their own. Because the games are rigorous and not basic matching/sorting activities, the directions may be too difficult for some 1st graders to read and follow independently if you have not previously shown them how to play. I encourage you to view a sample of the game instructions by clicking the “Preview” button to the right before buying.
ALSO NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because there is some overlap in the geometry standards between grades 1-3, some of the games and materials in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade geometry products are very similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
I'm in the process of creating Common Core aligned math partner games for all CCSS domains in grades 1-5. If you'd like to receive an email from TpT when I've added a new grade level or skill/concept to the math partner games product series, click "Follow" at the top of my store page.
See what other teachers are saying!
I am so excited about this package! I have a few other packages from this seller, and they are all wonderful. The directions are so thorough and everything is laid out for you I also love that the author included the mathematical practices which my principal is really harping about :) Thanks!! - Laura M.
I liked this so much that the school just ordered a set for each of our first grade teachers! Yay! - Deborah Kronz
My students really enjoyed these games. It was nice to listen to the students actually play the game discuss the information while they were playing. - Joycelyn R.
I love the variety to math games in this pack. My kids LOVE the rocket ship shape game! - Betsy D.
My class loved these and they were so easy to set up! Thanks - Rebecca Dunbar
This will be a great tool to use in the classroom. I like any that this allows students to learn while they are playing a game. - Tracy C.
Excellent product. Lots of activities. Perfect for our space unit. Thanks! - Teresa N.
Love the rigor and detail. - Sherry Morton
You might also like:
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.