If you are tired of looking for ways to motivate your students in geometry - look no more! The Geometry Explorations Everyday Math Resource is loaded with practice-practice-practice, designed for Smartboard interaction or individuals. It contains a collection of strategically selected Internet links that align with all Geometry concepts and skills taught in all 9 lessons of Unit 3 in the Everyday Math curriculum. Although this website is designed and aligned specifically with the 5th grade Everyday Math Curriculum, it can be adapted and used with other publishing series and grade levels with similar skills.
• Exploring Geometric Solids
• Identifying Lines, Angles and Rays
• Identifying Types of Angles
• How to Use a Protractor
• Measuring Angles
• Using a Compass
• Congruent Triangles
• Exploring Properties of Polygons
• Exploring and Creating Tesselations
• Exploring Properties of Quadrilaterals
You will find interactive games, PowerPoint, videos and many other resources in this highly interactive resource tool. The Internet links selected for this website resource have been teacher tested and successfully used by students for many years. This website is also well maintained and frequently updated to ensure efficiency. Although games do not replace good teaching, the use of games to reinforce learning is very beneficial.
PURPOSE OF THE EVERYDAY MATH RESOURCE WEBSITE
• It provides easy classroom access to practice activities that meet the multiple intelligences of students in your classroom.
• It provides daily homework practice for students to reinforce skills taught in the classroom for each lesson.
• It provides opportunities for family interaction and connection.
BENEFITS OF THE EVERYDAY MATH RESOURCE WEBSITE
After reviewing many studies conducted on the effects of educational gaming on student achievement in mathematics, I discovered the following information.
• The use of computer games in educational settings offers a positive effect on academic achievement, on attitudes toward learning, and on self-concept, when compared to traditional instruction.
• Educational gaming offers immediate feedback, increases active learner participation, reinforces knowledge, and influences attitudinal changes.
• Playing serious, high quality, interactive games influence mathematics achievement and self-efficacy in math.
• Educational gaming favors the development of complex thinking skills and problem solving, planning, and self-regulated learning.
• Because of the high degree of student interaction and engagement with content and subject matter that constantly reinforces knowledge and challenges thinking, the impact on learning is astronomical.