Practice geometric vocabulary and reasoning through critical thinking with this math journal. It covers VA SOLs 4.10a, 4.10b, 4.11a, 4.11b, 4.12a, 4.12b, 5.11, 5.12a, 5.12b, and 5.13a.
Includes 11 journal pages in which students must evaluate and correct common mistakes when working geometric figures.
- Journal 1- Create a picture with a checklist of geometric features including points, line segments, lines, rays, parallel lines, perpendicular lines, and intersecting lines, correctly named. Have a partner validate geometric characteristics of the figure.
- Journal 2- Evaluate and correct common mistakes in observations about the geometric characteristics of a figure.
- Journal 3- Evaluate and correct common mistakes in naming angles and categorizing them as acute, obtuse, right, or straight.
- Journal 4- Recognize and label geometric transformations: reflection, rotation, and translation.
- Journal 5- Complete a table categorizing geometric transformations as vertical or horizontal reflections, degree of rotation, or translations.
- Journal 6- Evaluate and correct common mistakes in classifying polygons and non-polygons.
- Journal 7- Evaluate and correct common mistakes in classifying triangles by side length (equilateral, isosceles, scalene) and angle measure (acute, obtuse, right).
- Journal 8- Evaluate and correct common mistakes in naming polygons based on the number of sides (3-10 sided polygons).
- Journal 9- Evaluate and correct common mistakes in categorizing different quadrilaterals (square, rectangle, parallelogram, trapezoid, rhombus) based on side length and pairs of parallel sides.
- Journal 10- Evaluate and correct or prove various statements about quadrilaterals (e.g.: all rectangles are squares).
- Journal 11- Fill in a table with various geometric transformations (reflection, rotation, translation) of polygons.
These journals go beyond basic practice as students evaluate the relationships among geometric figures. Use in math centers, small groups, or as homework. Great for independent or partner work to facilitate interactive math talk in your classroom. Ready to print! Answer key included! NO PREP!
Save time and money by purchasing this math journal as part of a BUNDLE!
Math Journals for 4th and 5th Grade Mega BUNDLE
Check out View from Fourth's other math journals: View from Fourth Math Journals