Offering one of my favorite Power Points over Tangents to Circles
* Students review the meaning of circles, circle centers, the radius and the diameter
* Students learn the differences between chords and secants; they learn exactly what a tangent is
* Once students understand what a tangent is in geometry, they learn about internal and external tangents.
* Students learn the differences in the notation for secants and chords
* Students learn about concentric circles
* Students apply tangents and circles to Coordinate Geometry
* Students learn three theorems about tangents and apply those theorems to solve for the length of the radius of a circle; students also use the theorems and the Converse to the Pythagorean Theorem to determine whether or not a line or line segment is actually tangent to a circle.
* This power point is aligned with CC stantards
* I feel confident that students will find the lesson interesting and manageable, while instructors should find it practical and adaptable to their curriculum.
* Included in the lesson is a 6 question follow up assessment to provide immediate feedback to students and instructors as to how well the lesson is understood.
* Also included are Guided Notes to encourage active participation among students while the lesson is being presented. The notes will also be useful to students in preparation for homework assignments, quizzes, tests, and final exams.
^ Please enjoy!
LOVE TO TEACH!