This song about Phillis Wheatley, a Black female author, tells the story of how she wrote to General Washington during the American Revolution. Analyze her letter to General Washington, her impact on him, and his response to her, while practicing reading comprehension, and root word and affixes skills.
Get the activity here!
Listen with subtitles on YouTube!
This activity includes:
- the song lyrics for use as a readers theater activity with access to the instrumental music available on YouTube
- a list of comprehension questions with the answer key
- an identifying root words activity
- an identifying prefixes activity
- an identifying suffixes activity
- a short response writing activity with prompts that challenge students to think about Wheatley's unique position as a woman, slave, and author, as well as her interactions with General Washington.
How to use this resource:
- Students will preview the questions on page 1 then listen to the song while following along with the lyrics on pages 2 and 3.
- Students will then answer the questions on page 1.
- When students are done, they can continue to be engaged by completing the root words, prefixes, suffixes, and short response activities on pages 4 - 8.
- Review the root words activities on pages 4 and 5 before allowing students to continue to the prefixes and suffixes activities. The activities on pages 6 and 7 build on previous knowledge from the root words activities.
- The answer key for pages 1 and 4 - 7 are located on pages 9 - 13.
*Click here to follow our store for updates!*
Get monthly freebies!
Get a custom-made song for free!
You may also like:
Women's History Bundle #1
Phillis Wheatley Biography Famous Black Women in History Reading Passage with Song
Marie Curie Famous Female Scientist Biography Reading Activities with Song
Dolores Huerta Civil Rights Leader Biography Reading Activities with Song
Maggie Walker Black History Month Passage with Song
James Armistead & General Lafayette in The American Revolution Reading Activity with Song
Pocahontas Reading Comprehension Biography Activity with Song
*Leave a review if you liked our product.*
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by authors. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this video are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.